Intrigued Nicki, Santiago and I decided to spend an extra day in Marrakech to see the sites.
Our day started in the medina which provided lots of great photo opportunities. However in the morning when it wasn't as busy the medina vendors were even more vocal. People generally assume that I'm American or British since they always start off talking English to me. I've recently just started pretending I'm Dutch because I imagine there are a lot less people that speak Dutch here! lol Vendors will also try to get your attention by saying things like "Looking is free", "Hello Shakira, Lady Gaga or Jennifer Lopez". In Marrakech I got called Shakira 3 times and Lady Gaga twice. Not sure if the last one was a compliment or not!
We saw a bucket of snails that I guess people just eat with a toothpick and some courage. Met the cutest little Gecko I've ever seen in my life and passed by many beautiful rugs. I SO wish I could bring one home!
After the medina we set out to find the first of the two palaces that we wanted to visit. Palace Bahia was about a 15 minute walk from the square and was pretty unimpressive. It should be called the View an empty Palace tour. The Palace was completely void of any furnishings so we had to imagine what the place looked like when the king and his 4 wives lived there.
They we set out to find the second palace which turned out to be an adventure.
Since I'm a couple days (or week behind!) on our adventure I'll sum up the rest of the day for you rather quickly. We set out to find the palace which was close by but ended up having lunch, asking police for direction and almost getting my iPhone taken away because I took a picture of the police giving NIcki directions! Thankfully she had time to woo them with her charm and told them I didn't know the rules I was American. We all laughed and eventually I got my phone back after the photo was deleted. I'll never make that mistake again! Despite having directions we spent another hour walking in circles ending up at the palace 5 minutes after it closed. Defeated we headed to the one place we knew of that had a happy hour and just enjoyed the evening. The evening ended with Nicki dancing with a tray of candles and teapot on her head! Ohhhh Nicki! : )










No comments:
Post a Comment