This morning we learned how to make couscous from our host mother. It was more watching than actually assisting but it was cool to see how such a delicious dish comes together.
After we enjoyed the "fruits of our non labor"; MaryAnne and I resumed our normal routine. We usually spend about an hour wandering around Agdal surveying the selection of warm clothes and comfortable walking shoes. I think we will be ready to push the button on a purchase this weekend. It's been much colder than any of us expected and the rain makes things seem a bit cooler than they actually are. Most days have been in the mid to high 60s.
After our shopping adventures, we have been visiting various cafes in the neighborhood and enjoying one or two cups of coffee.
Our volunteer shift does not start until the afternoon. We have a 35 minute bus ride to the community center. Today we arrived a little early so we had time to wander around. We discovered a cool place with lots of pottery for very very cheap prices. It makes me rethink all those labor intensive ceramic classes I've been taking! A large dish that might take me an hour to make and 3 hours to paint costs about 15 dollars. lol
We also discovered an open air market that sold everything from toothpaste to rugs.
Every day has been a bit of a surprise when we arrive at the community center. Today they asked us to teach English to teen girls. Most people at the community center speak only French or Arabic so I am thankful that MaryAnne knows so much French. She's been a lifesaver! I'm still plugging away with my Rosetta Stone but I never realized how much Spanish I knew until I tried to learn French. lol
Our first English lesson went well, we taught the girls to count and write to 100. It was exciting to see how eager they were to learn and we can't wait to teach another class next week.
We are heading out to Casablanca in the morning. Can't wait to explore another city!






No comments:
Post a Comment