Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Goodbye Rabat. Hello Essaouria!

Saturday morning I left Rabat for a journey to the beach. Originally when I booked my flight I had intended to do my Sahara tour at the end of my volunteer experience. So I now had 5 more days to explore Northern Africa. Getting to Essaouria was an all day affair. First I set out on a 4 hour train to Marrakech then had 20 minutes to catch a 2.5 hour bus to Essaouria.
Thankfully I was able to hustle and make my connection and arrived at the beach at 5:30 pm.
Despite having directions I wandered around the medina for a good 45 minutes before I found my accommodations. After someone said "You'll never find it on your own" I was determined to prove them wrong and NOT hire a guide. Needless to say it took some time but I found it.
After checking in I strolled around the beach, watched the sunset and watched the world to by while drinking some mint tea. Excluding the trip to Africa this was my first time traveling solo. It's not for everyone. A little alone time is nice but I prefer traveling with an accomplice. Ideally someone you can share both comfortable silences and silliness when the moment strikes.
I ended up chatting with a nice German girl who had plans to hitchhike into the country side. Oh to be young and foolish! Lol





No comments:

Post a Comment